Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What boot camp means to me...

Cone sprints and friendship. Today's workout reminded me why I LOVE BOOT CAMP. Back many years ago when I took my first outdoor group workout, I was afraid to run, had little self confidence, very few friends and hadn't discovered my true calling. Until one day.

That day we did a workout where we raced each other. We lined up with small groups and had to race doing suicides - out back, out back, ouuuuuuuuut baaaaaack. And all of a sudden I remembered why I loved sports - competition, laughter, hustle. I think those are the most fun, most rewarding feelings in the world - and in the 20 minutes that I raced against the guy that would become my nemisis, my buddy and at times my support, my inner boot camp instructor was born.

Today we do a workout very similar to that at Blackburn, but add in the elements of boot camp that I only discovered after starting my own business at Blackburn - Friendship, Fun and Support! Now don't get me wrong, our cone sprints workout is hard. After a grueling warmup trying to get the quads and hamstrings ready to sprint, we start with a plain old suicide. They call them suicides for a reason, you know.... Then we add in the "fun" elements of squat thrusts, pushups and many other exercises taking your body from full on forward movement to full on verticle or horizontal movement and back to full on forward movement just in time to do it all again, but with a longer run.

But the actual physical part of this workout isn't what is special. As I was cheering for my team and running next to the campers, and even against my fellow instructors, the whole reason we do boot camp struck me. I looked around and noticed that not only did I have friendships on the field, but the campers did, too. I looked over at Regina and Dawn and down to Karen and Renee. And then thought about how many new friendships would be discovered this year. And then I took a moment to listen...

What I heard was the next chapter in the Blackburn Park story...a whole group of boot camp instructors coming into their own. And I realized that this team of instructors are not just random people plooped into a group - we are now officially a force to be reconed with. Our friendships, support for each other, cheering during the race, chatter at coffee and everything in between is what makes the stories that make The American Boot Camp Company so different than every other company out there. And these stories are what get us through tough days, what make us laugh and what inspire us to greatness.

Let's keep kicking "grass" Blackburn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Mari, and a great day at Blackburn Park! I agree with you, girl; Boot Camp is about so much more than just phenomenal workouts. It's a way of life. It's a way to start every day on a high note. It's a way to share in the lives of strangers who often become friends. It's a way to remind ourselves that people are worthy of us believing in them. And, yes, it's a great workout. If today was any indication, this February at Blackburn is gonna ROCK! Bring it on!!!