Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The day the lightening struck

This mornings workout will live on in TABCC's history. And we were lucky and crazy enough to be part of it. Today, every instructor that was at the Blackburn workout earned their stripes. You earned the ability to say, "Remember when". But most importantly you earned the respect of your campers and of each other.

It has never been more clear to me why I am traveling across the country for very little money to educate fitness professionals about leading outdoor workouts than it was this morning.

Around 6:35am the first cloud to ground lightening struck about 2 miles away from our group. Less than 10 seconds later the second bolt hit, but much closer this time. We had already made the decision to head back from our end of month long run early and were just a football field or so from the cars when the wind picked up and the sideways rain started pounding so hard and fast that we could barely see.

Branches were falling and more rain was coming down than I think I have ever seen. Just as the front of the group made it back to the cars the first bolt of lightening hit a nearby tree. It was still raining with such fury that we coudnt tell how close the tree was, but could hear the tree crack. In response we sprinted away from the tree above us and as that happened the second bolt hit the transformer less than 50 feet from me and much closer to several others just getting in from the run. We got everyone into the safety of their cars and home safely, but all day I have been receiving stories about this workout that will live forever.

Please take a minute to see why the instructors trained under The American Boot Camp Company Training Program are the best in the country.

From an instructor: "Wow – that was intense. I think if you look at every other workout that we do, obviously the weather/workout combo today was the issue. If we had been doing cone sprints or even the PT test, getting back to the cars wouldn’t have been such an issue. But it was and thankfully nobody got hurt so we should be conscious, in the future, of what to do.

It’s funny – we saw what this instructor team is made of today. People hung in there and made sure that the campers got back to their cars."

From a boot camper: "This morning was awesome! I am registering for next month right now!"

From a boot camper: "I want to share with you what I went threw this morning. Ever since boot camp started, I park my car in front of that light poll that was struck this morning. I always lock my car and throw my key underneath the car inside my right tire. I have done this everyday since we began. This morning I got out of the car and ran to where we gather b/c I thought I was running late. I forgot to put my keys in the regular place which is underneath my car. I realized I still had my keys when I met up with the group so I placed them by the big tree by your car.

After our run and as we all got back to the parking lot, I was running towards my car b/c of the heavy rain and when I was about 20 yards from my car I realized that my keys are at the tree near your car, so I started to turn around to head in that direction when Suddenly that lighting struck twice at that poll where I was parked. I froze for a good ten seconds in shock b/c I have never been that close to lighting before. I then ran to the tree, got my keys and ran to my car.

I'm not the most religious person but that made me think... If I had placed my keys that morning underneath the car, I would have been there on my hands and knees in a puddle of water trying to get them when that lighting struck. But today, THANK GOD I forgot to put my keys there. Isn't that weird. I have always placed my keys there but today I did not and lighting struck that area.. What are the chances of that.... I would be fried chicken right now. "

From a boot camp instructor: "I am actually glad I was with the camper at the back--- she told me before the run she was trying not to psyche herself out about the long run. I responded with - of course- she could do it , that she would be surprised at how far she runs everyday at the park and she would be thrilled at the end when she found out how far she had gone. So, I was glad I was with her at the end.

She seemed fine until we were almost at the little grassy hill we ran up to cut through to the parking lot. Josh was there waiting and directing us and by this time I was actually holding under her arm as she kept saying she couldn't see very well. Josh grabbed her other arm to assist in helping her up on the curb and she seemed to start panicking a little. I told her she was fine and I could see everything and I just kept talking to her saying, Mother Nature is giving it to us but we are going to finish strong, we are almost there and I told her she should go home and sign up for next month b/c if she could run today she can do anything!

She seemd to get calm just as fast as she seemed to panic, which was good. I made sure she got right up to the door of her car and said - good job and I will see you tomorrow. Driving home I couldn't believe all the tree stuff on the road and nothing fell on us. ...Nice job by everyone."

Instructors - Thank you for all that you do. Thank you for caring about the clients as much as I care about them. Thank you for treating each other with care and friendship. I am so proud to be on your team!

3 comments:

JamesNAtl said...

We have lived through the rainy first Boot Camp Olympics, the heat of the inaugural ING, a frigid Big Peach 5k, the rocky mud pit of Muddy Buddy 2007, and sloshed around many muddy workouts, but today was a true test of what we can do and be proud of surviving. Today was a true testament of what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I think we all could live another 50 years without ever experiencing the impact of a storm like the one we did this morning. I am thankful for an injury free run for us all. Despite the storm that cut off just a little distance of our run, I think the run was awesome.

I have already planned for a beautiful morning next month for the long run. I am planning on a beautiful spring sunrise, some blooming foilage, and the echos of songbirds.

On a side note, I have never finished a run with a fireworks display at the end. Josh, you really know how to put together a great event.

The American Boot Camp Company said...

Nicely said, James.

Anonymous said...

I mean... Can we get a prayer meetin' about that run this morning?!? Holy moly! Having turned around to scoop up the mid-pack and back of the group, I missed the lightning strikes in the lot, and had no idea that half the tree I'd parked under was dangling precariously above my car. Big thanks to you, Mari, for giving me a heads up on that! Yikes! Here I was thinking that the blinding, deafening, body-pelting rain had been thrilling! It's a wonder no one was struck by lightning! I'm so thankful that everyone made it, and that we worked together to bring in the troops safely.

Let it not go unsaid, though, that our campers today ran more than 3 miles, some of them for the first time in their lives, even with us yelling out to them, "Sprint back to the cars! Sprint back to the cars!" for the last quarter mile or so. That is so impressive! I'm proud of everyone today!