Saturday, February 23, 2008

The importance of cheerleaders

Today we played a small part in changing the lives of several people and they may not even know it yet. Just like many years ago when Mrs. Kravoch change mine.

Aside from my mom, this woman single handedly set me on a different path. I was in 5th grade and got it in my head that I could try out for cheerleading. I always had a big mouth, but was never "the pretty one" or "the cool one" or "the cheerleader type". I did have some coordination and so I went for it. Out of all the girls that tried out, they only picked three. And for some strange reason for which to this day I do not understand, I was one of them. The experiences I learned from my grade school cheer days are a big reason why I have the confidence that I have today. Someone believed in me. Someone saw something in me, that I didn't see in myself. That changed my life.

For those people that know me today, I am still a cheerleader, but in a different manner. I don't do basket tosses or human pyramids (except at the instructor olypmics) or support cliques or gossip. I cheer for all of the people that never got to be "cool". I cheer for all of the people that don't have anyone to believe in them and that may not believe in themselves.

So today was extra special for me because I am certain that my cheers and belief in others made a difference. Today The American Boot Camp Company sponsored the Chastain Chase 5K and we encouraged all of our campers and instructors to come out and run the 3.1 miles around Chastain Park and help us kick off our "Regular Guy" race team. My goal with this race team is to encourage people of all fitness levels to get out and run. To try their best. I want them to feel like they are part of something and by being part of our team they will get the support they need to better themselves.

Racing boot camp style - we yell, hoop and holler the entire race. Many people think we are crazy. Someone even told me to save my breath today. Little did he know that I couldn't win the race even if I wanted, I am not the fastest in my age group or the fastest female. But I am Ok with that. I have other things I do well - like cheering. I would rather support the people that I knew could win the race. I would rather cheer them on, encourage them to run faster and remind them to breath and use proper form on the hills. I would rather represent the heart of The American Boot Camp Company - believe that everyone can give a little more with support.

And we seriously represented today. Thank you to everyone that came out and participated, cheered and showed everyone that The American Boot Camp Company is the most positive, most fun boot camp and that we don't quit until EVERY person in our group crosses the finish line.

The best news of this entire day is that many of us WON! As I write this, I get tears in my eyes because I am so proud of everyone that came out. Boot Camp is hard. Running 3 miles is hard. And neither of these things are part of most "normal" peoples lives. But each morning we get out of bed before the crack of dawn and give it our all so that we can feel better about ourselves the rest of the day. We smile through muddy workouts and grunt up grueling hills. We are determined to not quit. And today NONE of you did!

A special mention goes out to my boot camper that didn't believe she did well today. She broke 40 minutes. Now, in comparison to the atheltes that win a 5K distance in professional competitions this seems slow. But and I mean BUT, this woman isn't 23. She has a full life behind her. But every morning she gets up with a postive can do attitude and doesn't quit. She might not be the fastest, but today she won a GOLD horseshoe medal in her age group. Today she WON the race. I have never been prouder and never been believed more in the importance of cheerleaders.

Do You Boot Camp? I do. I boot camp with The American Boot Camp Company.

No comments: