Monday, February 25, 2008

The Fear of the Known

So this week is a big week for me. Not only is this the last week of our February Camp where we want everyone to make big strides and end their 4-Week Camp on a high note, but it is the big sales week for our March Camps that begin on Monday, March 3rd.

Additionally, this week is our first brush with The American Boot Camp Company as a national brand. I have been working for the past year gaining additional certifications and tweeking our program offering so that nationally accredited companies ACE (American Council on Exercise) and AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America) could bring me on as a faculty member. I have also been working on a business model to take The American Boot Camp Company national by licensing our program, brand and web based tool. Wednesday, February 27th will be my first presentation of our Instructor Training Program and Friday-Sunday is our first trade show to sell the Licenses in the Philadelphia, New Jersey and Deleware area.

It is a very exciting time, but also a very scary time. I sort of image that this is how the campers feel after orientation. They are very excited to get started, but have no idea what is coming. I sort of like it that way better because you can only prepare for the worst or hope for the best at this point. Without knowing what lies ahead, there is room for excitement and hope.

Veteran campers have the hard because of this reason. Many clients will come through our system and get into great shape after a couple of months of boot camp. Then they head out on their own to try to stay healthy and life hits them head on. They really want to workout, but can't fit it into their day. Then the excuses pile up and become weight. Then they say - I am too out of shape to come back to boot camp. Why? I think that is ludicrous. Crazy even. But it is really fear of the KNOWN. They know how hard boot camp was the first time when they didn't know what was coming. They know how sore they will be. They know it will be harder than it was the first time.

But what they forget is that the rewards are HUGE. It's easy to forget the achievement when you can't see it. One wise boot camper turned instructor once said - 'Expect boot camp to be harder than you think, but expect the rewards to be greater than you can imagine."

I will hold onto that as I venture out this week into uncharted territory and hope for rewards beyond my imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you, Mari! Good luck this week! Meanwhile, as I face becoming a camper again, I am definitely experiencing that "fear of the known"!