Saturday, July 12, 2008

Who believes in instant gratification?

Every year I close my outdoor operations down in January and people normally assume that is because it is too cold even in Atlanta to run outside fitness. But that is not really it. It has more to do with the type of client I want to attract. My ideal client knows that they need extra motivation and knows that they need support, but doesn't make "resolutions".

So in a world of "get fit quick", my company promises "results in 30 days". But doesn't that mean I want those clients seeking instant gratification? No! Because the kinds of results that I am promising are those that lead to long term changes to a person and help them to find a perminant path to fitness and health success. More energy. Glowing skin. A general sense of health.

But will they also SEE results. You know - weight loss?

If they follow my plan, yes. They will see that and more. They will see a perminant increase in their energy which will allow them to do more, experience more and both look AND feel better.

By eating healthy and exercising regularly, they can fight of multitudes of health issues and they can set an example in their community. But they can't always do it alone - which is why independant operators, like myself, look for clients that are not seeking instant gratification, but rather those that want to make a long term change.

1 comment:

One Who Prays said...

This month marks the 2nd anniversary of my involvement with TABCC, the day when, on a whim, I signed up for camp, sight unseen. Two years! They can call me a "Boot Camp Dork" all day long, but in my mind, the improvements I've experienced completely warrant me being TABCC's biggest advocate.

Two years ago, I couldn't run an entire mile, and today I can brag about the 1/2 marathon I ran in April '07. Two years ago, I saw myself as "chunky", and today I see myself as "fit". Two years ago, I felt very alone as I grappled with the decision to end a long-term relationship, and today some of my best supporters and friends are fellow Boot Campers and Instructors. Two years ago, I wrote in my Boot Camp log-book that I ate jelly beans for a snack, and today I tell my boss the difference between protein and fiber as she goes through her first boot camp session.

It wasn't an overnight miracle, though. Sure, the look of my body changed in my first month of boot camp, but more important than that, and certainly more rewarding to me, are the changes that came from dedication over the last two years. My experience with TABCC has made me healthier, to be sure, but these two years have also helped me become a more well-rounded individual. I follow-through on workout commitments. I wake up early, and have energy for my days. I nurture friendships I've made at camp. I'm involved in, and feel connected to the community. When people comment on why I seem so happy and full of energy all the time, I wonder to myself, "Why not?". No, it didn't happen overnight, but my life is healthier and richer as a result of all of these things.

If people knew that they could improve their entire lives - not just their bodies! - for good, they'd just sign up for a session with TABCC, and their measly "get fit" New Year's resolution would seem like a joke!