Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My boot camp instructor is not an alien...

This morning I proved that I am not an alien owner of a fitness boot camp company, but indeed a human being. Whew! Now everyone knows my secret.

The story is I was late. My alarm didn't go off and one of my instructors had to kindly serve me a wakeup call as 40 of my boot campers patiently waited in the parking lot for their fearless, and now human, leader to arrive at Blackburn Park Boot Camp.

I don't have an excuse, because there shouldn't be one. I live accountability, so I should stand by it even when it is not convenient. So I gratiously did my 45 pushups for being late while my boot campers happily counted them out.

But this brings up a really important fact about being a boot camp owner and operater. As the leader of many people, your example is what sets the tone of your business. If you stand around and bark orders, your clients will see you as unforgiving. If you get down and dirty with your clients and feel the same pain that they do, they will have a certain amount of respect for you that placed you in that "alien" category.

But the best part about this morning was that by re-joining the "human" group, my clients realized that my success isn't so unattainable. That they goals and thus their success might just be possible. I am not sure I could have planned for a better lesson in believing in oneself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mari, Mari, Mari... you pull your sh!t together better (and faster!) on your worst day, than I can ever hope to! Great workout today!