Thursday, April 17, 2008

The benefits of rising early with a clear head

I'll admit it. I am a boot camp instructor and I like to drink wine. I like to crisp fruit taste of a white wine or the bold spicy taste of a red wine. So much so, that I decided to start a wine tasting club with my friend, Emily.
So last night was our first club outing and man was it fun. We brought together girls from all different backgrounds, with all different career paths. Some married, some single, some tall, some short, but all of us united in wine. And after several bottles and lots of fun tastes and maybe a little to much of one particular variety we closed our first official wine club meeting and went home to our comfortable beds.
When my husbands alarm sounded this morning, I realized that I probably had 2 too many glasses last night and desperately needed water. But unlike most people, my second thought was that I needed to get hydrated so that I could go on my Thursday run. If I was too dehydrated, I might pull a muscle or something worse. So after a bottle of water, I decided to lay in bed a little. You see, Thursday is my day to sleep in to the late hour of 8am.
Now sleeping in to me, is not the same as it is to most people. Every morning, I rise before 5AM, quickly get dressed, brush my teeth and head out to boot camp at Blackburn Park. My job begins at 5:40am every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. So on Thursday I sleep until 8am. And that is late.
This morning when I rose with a foggy head, I realized why I quit partying and boosing it up on a frequent basis several years ago. I felt like I was waisting time. Like I had just wasted 2 hours of precious daylight and that I could have accomplished so much more. That is when I remembered how much I love to get up early and get things accomplised. And one saying kept popping into my head that a former boot camper once said, "At boot camp, we accomplish more by 7AM than most people do all day."

Lesson of the day - a wine tasting should be limited to one pour a bottle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good times. Good times. I'm feelin' a little rough today, but I'll be at the studio tonight for Core class, and I'll see you bright and early in the AM!